Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cantelope?

Wow. I thought this year, I would plant a couple of cantelope and see how it went. So far, the vines have spread out almost 10 feet around the plants. I'm starting to worry!! Does this mean all leaves and no fruit?



I harvested the garlic this week. Five georgeous bulbs of elephant garlic. Giant and beautiful. I planted one whole bulb of garlic, 5 cloves, and was able to harvest all of it. I will definitly plant more this winter. It requires a quite a lot of grow time, but it feels almost miraculous. Plant a clove and reap a bulb!!

The bulbs are curing now on the drying rack in the garage. Wow, any time we open the door to do laundry, the smell of garlic pours into the house. I love it!

I bought the origional elephant garlic from one of my favorite farmers at the Urban Village Farmers Market in Campbell. She was very informative and shared lots of good information. Such as garlic from the grocery store will often be engineered to keep it from growing. What must be done to a seed to keep it from doing the thing that it is created to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment