Wednesday, April 28, 2010

8 Days A Week

Did I say that we took a vacation before the craziness of spring planting???



Every day, seedlings are ready to go out, ground is waiting to be cleared, squash need watering, beds need weeding, wigwams to be made. This is it!! Our long winter is over!!



Last week I cleared some ground in the front yard and set up a new bed. This week I planted eggplant and peas there. Still some room left, cucumbers maybe?



Near that, I planted out the corn seedlings, they are already a foot tall and growing fast. This is my first try at corn. I have read they are nitro-hungry so I'm stewing up some rabbit poo tea. Seamus keeps me in a steady supply of poo!!!



Behind the corn, I have 5 tomato plants. Last year, I tried companion planting with marigolds and it worked very well. I didn't have any pest problems on the tomatos so this year I planted even more marigolds. They are pretty too (which is good for the girls who would have the whole yard filled with flowers).



In the corner I put in an artichoke plant. They're not my favorite thing to eat, but the kids love them and so do the in-laws. Hopefully enough to share, if not this year then next year!! I am excited to have something that will produce year after year without having to be replanted every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment