Monday, March 7, 2011

Holy Seed Starts!

This is it! March in California is time to start cookin!!! I am a bit reluctant, however, to over do it. Our family will be vacationing in mid-April and I have yet to find a volunteer to feed the animals every day, let alone nurse along tiny seed starts!!

Planning, however, doesn't need any help to move it along. This year, corn will have its own plot. The girls (our chickens, not our kids) will have to relinquish a bit of the backyard so we can grow a nice sized crop of corn. If only they knew they were the intended recipients, they wouldn't mind.

Then, tons of salad greens, collard greens, beets, tomatoes, carrots, peas and beans. I will be trying broccoli again this year. I've not had luck in the past due to aphids. However, I've lost my fear of using DE on the plants and I'm sure this will do the trick.

I'm cutting back on the summer squash but will still plant a couple of patty pan and crook neck.

This should be the year the blackberries take off. With a little luck we'll be making jam from our own berries this year.

The girls are already in full egg-laying mode, we're getting a dozen eggs every 2 days. We've been having a lot of egg white breakfasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment